Saturday, February 2, 2013

“I Could Have Danced All Night”



            Have you ever had a night that you wished could last forever? I have. I truly could have danced all night long after my senior prom. I moved across my room in my long flowing dress singing “I could have danced all night” from the Broadway show, My Fair Lady. In that moment, I felt like Eliza Doolittle, the young London girl, chosen by Professor Henry Higgins for a linguistics experiment in My Fair Lady. Higgins bets a friend he can transform Eliza into an eloquent lady in time for the Embassy Ball. While frustrated at first, Higgins eventually finds Eliza to be delightful company. But, does he accomplish the task at hand?
          
Even if you have never heard of this musical, I bet you know the actress who played the Broadway Eliza Doolittle. She’s known as Mary Poppins, Maria von Trapp, The Queen of Genovia, and many other aliases. Julie Andrews played Eliza Doolittle when My Fair Lady first appeared on the Broadway stage on March 15, 1956.  This show appeared almost ten years before The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, so Julie Andrews was not yet popular. Luckily for her, she had a well-known costar that enticed viewers. His name was Rex Harrison. Not only did he play Professor Higgins in the Broadway play, he also played the same role in the movie version almost ten years later.


            The movie version of My Fair Lady aired around the same time as Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music, but My Fair Lady came first. If the casting crew had chosen Julie Andrews, we wouldn't know her as Mary Poppins or Maria von Trapp. Fortunately for us, Julie Andrews was passed over for the role. The actress who was cast was the beloved Audrey Hepburn. She played Eliza Doolittle with as much poise and grace as her predecessor. Although she lacked the vocal skills of Julie Andrews, she redeemed herself with her acting and gorgeous physique. Even though she vocally prepared for the role, Audrey Hepburn did not sing a majority of the show. Marni Nixon, a famous Broadway name, sang most of Hepburn’s songs. Her first screen appearance was as Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music. My Fair Lady was a hit and collected many awards. Unfortunately, Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music quickly followed and surpassed My Fair Lady in the box office and in the audiences’ hearts. Even so, My Fair Lady will always be remembered for the memorable songs like “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly”, “The Rain in Spain”, and “I Could Have Danced All Night.” Thanks for reading, and as always, “It’s a Grand Night for Singing!” 

1 comment: